Server

Francois Pistorius

03 Jan, 2020 06:10 AM

Morning,

I have been experiencing server problems over the last 6 months.
When I write a blog post or update a section and press save , the site diverts to a page which says " Server unavailable " which then lost all my corrections and updates. The same happens when I try to direct people to my website.

Could you please look into a solution to resolve this. It happens too often.

The other problem which has happened is that my two sites is not secured. What has changed that my sites show ssl warnings. I have integrated with Payfast so this is a problem having websites which is not secured on the server.

Please respond.

Regards,

Francois

1. 1 Posted by Ashton Drummond on 08 Jan, 2020 07:40 AM

Hi Francois,

I am having the same issues with very frequent 'Service unavailable' errors - causing issues with my google ads account... google seeing the site as not working due to the servers it is being run off.

Please can you contact me if a tank representative gets hold of you? ashton@thesilversixpence

I have been struggling to get any response from Tank for a few months now.

Regards
    Ashton

2. 2 Posted by Francois Pistor... on 08 Jan, 2020 07:52 AM

Hi Ashron,

Yes will do. It is concerning. I have been with Tank for 9 years but the customer service is shocking so I am looking at options.
    They don't seem to reply to any problems and the billing system when there are changes is also incredibly antiquated.

Please also get back to me if they decide to respond soon.

Regards,

Francois

3. 3 Posted by Ashton Drummond on 08 Jan, 2020 08:40 AM

Hi Francois,

Have you had any experience with transferring domains to another service provider? I would imagine that a 'starter' site could be created on a separate platform, then the domain could be transferred to run the starter site?

I imagine this would only have a small impact on current customers to a site during the transition?

Regards
    Ashton

4. 4 Posted by Francois Pistor... on 08 Jan, 2020 08:47 AM

Hi Ashton,

Absolutely.
    I am looking into creating a new site on a new platform with wordpress or wix.

It's just frustrating because I really like my two tank sites. It's time to move on.
    I think Tank stopped doing upgrades. I have integrated with Payfast but my Tank sites keep giving me messages that my site is not secured.
    I think Tank will cease to exist soon judging by the way they conduct their maintenance and customer feedback.

Francois

5. 5 Posted by Ashton Drummond on 08 Jan, 2020 08:53 AM

Hi Francois,

I would really appreciate it if you could give me a bit of advice as to how to do this (to wix for example). I currently run google business from the domain, which manages all the emails to customers, so am concerned about how to transfer the domain without interrupting that?

Does wix manage the domain transfer from tank? Would tank need to facilitate that in any way?

Regards
    Ashton

6. 6 Posted by Francois Pistor... on 08 Jan, 2020 09:02 AM

Hi Ashton,

Let me look into all the details.

I need to get moving this month. The way I see newer platforms integrate with services which I use like mailchimp is much more streamlined.
    I am sure wix will take ove rthe hosting and once the site is ready cancel your tank and carry over to wix.

In term of inegration i think wiz is stronger. I just delayed moving.

In terms of customer e-mails I would look into mailchimp. It will have a monthly cost but the options and services available for setting up mailgroups, landing pages and create ads to link to landing pages is super. They also host monthly webinars to expalin and train you on all their services.

I think for me Tank served it's purpose but if you are looking at expanding in terms of e-mail intergrations , segmenting your mail list and personalized customer e-mails, mailchimp has it all.

If a site is just a landing page for you to capture details and host more basic info you could also host it all with mailchimp. Their customer service is excellent.

In terms of creating basic e-commerce sites and galleries wix is very good.

If you are looking at a very good online e-commerce platform to integrate you e-mail list, sell products or services with online payment and host galleries I would recommend Shopify. This will be more costly but these are all very good online services and platforms with great customer support.

Are you looking to create your own new site ? If so I would look at wix if you are just looking for a good looking easy to use website.

Francois

7. 7 Posted by Ashton Drummond on 08 Jan, 2020 09:15 AM

Hi Francois,

Thanks for all the info! I run a wedding venue that just needs a site to land and give info - www.thesilversixpence.co.za

I suppose as you say, as long as I cancel Tank, then register the domain at a new hosting company ASAP, there shouldn't be an issue with the domain hosting, and I wouldn't need interface with tank?

I don't need any plugins - just a capture form to send an email to @thesilversixpence.co.za email addresses which are managed through gmail. I wouldn't want to change that - would prefer the operational side of the business to continue without any hastle.

Regards
    Ashton

8. 8 Posted by Francois Pistor... on 08 Jan, 2020 09:23 AM

Ashton the venue is beautiful.

I think a newer platform will serve you well.

I have a family member who could design a wix site for you but that will cost a bit.

If you are looking at doing your own site. I am sure if you did your own tank site you will find Wix userfirendly and then if you integrate and start using mailchimp you will have a super communication platform to use.

When you send mails from mailchimp there ar tags to personalize your mails in terms of delivery and you can add all your links to galleries, services and social media in your mail.

The way I am reading your mails, I would suggest a basic site as you said and to get working on mailchimp. You can use mailchimp free with up to an 500 e-mail list but if you want to use their landing pages to host facebook and Instagrams ads which all divert traffic for each specific campaign to a landing page you have to sign up for a monthly payment options but the features are really worth it.

Let me know how I can help you and feel free to mail me with any questions.

Francois

9. 9 Posted by Francois Pistor... on 08 Jan, 2020 09:26 AM

10. 10 Posted by Ashton Drummond on 08 Jan, 2020 09:45 AM

Hi Francois,

That's great, thanks for the advice and help!

Will definitely be in touch if I need any other help!

Have a great day!

Regards
    Ashton

11. 11 Posted by Francois Pistor... on 10 Jan, 2020 08:43 AM

Good morning Ashton,

A few bits of new info regarding a website.

I had a live chat with Mailchimp.

I will be moving my website to mailchimp. It will take some work as I have to create the site and move my content and blog manually. The great part is that there is no cost. I pay to use their newsletter with advance features. Once the site is ready I can cancel my tank site and they will assign my domain to the new site. The domain payment is my responsibility.

Mailchimp is very user friendly to create weekly mails to send to my mailing list so building a website on their template should also be easy enough to navigate through and create. I can host my photo galleries, film galleries and a blog which is perfect. There are also no server problems. Creating seperate landing pages for specific advertising goals and campaigns are very user firendly to create. They integrate very well with e-commerce features to sell products, services or bookings.

All the best.

Francois

12. 12 Posted by Ashton Drummond on 10 Jan, 2020 09:39 AM

HI Francois,

Thanks for the update.

My only concern at the moment is moving the domain. I downgraded a site from tank a while ago (www.twelvedegrees.co.za), so now it is back to the twelvedegrees.withtank.com address, but if I search for who owns the twelve degrees domain, it seems like it is still taken?

I am not sure whether the domain transfer can happen without a withtank person helping that process? Did you get any surety from mailchimp that when you downgrade from withtank, they can snap up the domain? Or do you have to completely cancel the site from withtank (not just downgrade to a free version on tank?)

Regards
    Ashton

13. 13 Posted by Francois Pistor... on 10 Jan, 2020 09:44 AM

Hi Ashton,

I own 4 domains which all point to my website.

These domains once registered and paid for is owned by you.

I have moved my site three times over the years from different platforms so there won't be any issue. I am sure between your old host being Tank and your new choosen platform the domain transfer will be smooth.

I had a bad experience with afrihost but as far as I know Tank uses namecheap. You would have paid for your domain so it belongs to you to move to your new website host.

Francois

14. 14 Posted by Ashton Drummond on 10 Jan, 2020 10:01 AM

Hi Francois,

My issue is that I registered the domain through tank - did you register the domains separately?

I don't think I can transfer without the support from tank?

Regards
    Ashton

15. 15 Posted by Francois Pistor... on 10 Jan, 2020 10:26 AM

Hi Ashton,

You have to ask them. I am not sure of this. My domain is currently aslo paid via tank but as I understand your new host will take over the domain.

Francois

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

10 Jan, 2020 10:26 AM
10 Jan, 2020 10:02 AM
08 Jan, 2020 02:42 PM